Friday, July 2, 2010

Big City Scores

I have been away for the last few days. I had to go to my monthly doctor appointment. Unfortunately, for my illness, there are no doctors where I live so I have to to drive 4 1/2 hours to the San Francisco Bay Area. The reality is even if there were doctors here, I would drive the 4 1/2 hours to mine. I love him. The guy wrote me a prescription to move to Baja, Mexico! If only my health insurance would cover that.

Since I was down in the big city I made a trip to Joann Fabric for some bits and pieces; snaps, thread, matching fabric to finish started projects. I also browsed the book section. There were some great titles from Quilting Arts I would love to add to my collection. I wrote them down and will be checking the used books on Amazon for them later today. I found one for my friend @victoriousvixen too. Nani, I so know what you are getting for your birthday!

When I go to the Bay Area I stay with my grandparents. They live five minutes from my doctor's office, so convenient. Grandma has an awesome sewing machine that has been living in her closet. She got into quilting about 10 years ago. She made a few quilts but it was a short lived hobby.

I showed Grandma what I've been doing here on Upcycled by Ash and asked if I could borrow her sewing machine indefinitely.

Boy did grandma come through! She agreed to let me borrow the machine and she pulled out all her old fabric, thread, interfacing, scissors, everything she had and let me take it all home with me. Grandma, you are the best!




I can't wait to get this thing set up. It is a lot more complicated than my basic machine, I admit I am intimidated. I was so happy to see that it came with instructional video tapes. Then I realized I have no way to watch a VHS tape! Where are the DVDs!!!

3 comments:

  1. niiice! cant wait to see what spawns :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. jealous, jealous, I am jealous!! Okay, well not totally jealous just majorly envious!! =) One day, my prince will come & he'll have a Bernina 8 series for me...it's the best of the best of the best as far as quilting goes!

    I'm so glad you were blessed with this amazing machine - Bernina's have quite the reputation for making the perfect stitch...Swiss made & a dream to sew with. I know you're going to do A LOT of good with it.

    If anyone else wants to donate their Bernina, I promise to put it to good use as well! (doesn't hurt to put it out there, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was jsut talking to my grandma today and she was saying that she is going to send me down all of her old fabric and sewing materials and although I just got a brand spankin' new sewing machine for x-mas that makes like 50 different stitches or something so i'm not ready for a big good fancy one yet- i can't WAIT for all the fabric to arrive! Aren't grandma's the best?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...