Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Zip Prototype Wallet


 Zip Prototype
SOLD

I don't know why I always think that I can do something new without directions. Yesterday I decided I was going to make a wallet with a zip pocket. I probably could have found a tutorial online, but I didn't even look. I sat at my desk folding paper and fabric trying to figure out how to make it work. 

The first attempt was a failure. After about three hours of pondering and sewing I finally admitted defeat. I salvaged what I could and started over. The second attempt went much more to plan, not entirely though. There are a few little kinks still to work out to get it just right. 

The Kinks-  
There is a raw edge in the pocket right now, nothing that anyone would notice but I know it is there! I ended up using a zigzag stitch to close the ends by the zip, I made them look decorative but the reality is they are a cover up. I kinda like them though. Also I'm not sure about the direction of the pockets. Should they face toward the zip (like they do now), away from the zip toward the flap like my other wallets, or one each way... I realize there is no right or wrong answer, but I'd love to hear your opinion.

The Details-
This wallet has six credit card slots, two deep bill pockets and a zip pocket large enough for keys and reinforced enough to carry heavy change. Obviously if you are one of those people with a million keys they aren't going to fit and you are going to have to buy one of my bags instead. The wallet closes with a single snap to hold your valuables in place. 

I am selling this wallet for only $25 because it is a prototype. There is nothing wrong with it functionally, but there are changes I want to make and little kinks that don't meet my criteria for a full price wallet.

To make a purchase contact me at: ashvantol@gmail.com or send me a tweet @upcycledbyash

Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge










Which way should the pockets go?

3 comments:

  1. I think away from the zipper, toward the flap! I think things might be a bit more easy to access that way? I'm no designer though so don't take my word for it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think candice is right. Thinking about opening it in my hands if the zipper part has change in it and is heavy it may be hard to pull out the cards if they are facing in that direction. Just my 2c

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Somehow it just feels upside down. I thought it was just because I was so use to making them the other way.

    A friend and I spent some time playing with the prototype and decided for sure pockets facing the flap.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...